Saturday, October 22, 2011

Style Mapping

If you are wondering why I am doing this today and not Wednesday, it's because I was absent on Wednesday and Thursday. I started it in class Friday but I didn't get to finish it because I took my vocab test that I missed on Thursday. Anyway...here's my paragraph.

From reading the first page of The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, I could tell that the language is very low compared to most other books because I believe the narrator is an African American lady from the sixties. There is a little bit of common vulgarity to it as the she tells us how she has raised many children. There are multiple grammatical errors that make the language seem dull, and clattering. When reading it aloud, it seems choppy and not put together well but the story makes sense none the less. The passage from Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy also contains familiar words, used in every day language. There is a lot of figurative language though, almost every other sentence. It takes you a second to understand what is happening because of that. It uses descriptive words to describe what the night looks like. It creates a picture in the readers mind while using blunt language. The last excerpt is from Neil Gaiman's Stardust. There are many colloquial words but how they are arranged with other colloquial words makes it seem like an elevated and rich writing style. It kind of seems musical, in a sense, but not harsh at all. It is written very well, allowing you to picture what is being described. By reading the first page of these three novels the language is different yet similar, depending on how you look at it (from what axis).

No comments:

Post a Comment