Thursday, September 15, 2011

Life As I See It

As you probably know by now, this book is about a family whose children are going downhill. One is dying from Leukemia, one is suing her parents, and the other gets into trouble constantly. When I started reading this book, I thought that it would be just another book that I picked up and started to read. Actually, instead of thinking about what is going on in the book, it makes me think more about what is going on in my life. Reading about this family has shown me that compared to their life, my life is great. There are people in the world, right now, that have nothing and are living on the streets and I don't think about it, really, ever, because you don't see that, much in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This book has shown me to really appreciate what God has given me and not to complain every time something doesn't go my way. There is one section in the book thta really spoke to me. Kate's mom asked her is she wanted to go to the mall and she said no. At this point in the story, Kate's hair has fallen out as a result from chemotherapy. Kate says to her mom, "Don't say it. Don't tell me that nobody's going to stare at me, because they will. Don't tell me it doesn't matter, because it does. And don't tell me I look fine because that's a lie.' Her eyes, lash-bare, fill with tears. 'I'm a freak, Mom. Look at me." I almost started crying when I read this. It's terrible! I feel so bad for her but if I were her, I probably would say the same thing. It's unfortunate that we have to worry about what others will think about us or say to us. Just because someone's different doesn't mean you have to stare and give that person a dirty look. People these days are so rude! Grow up and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment