Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

I like how this book is set up. Every chapter a different character narrates it. One chapter it's Kate, the next it's Anna and so on. It's cool to see the different perspectives from all of the characters. I have only read a few other books like this and I like it a lot. Also some chapters are in the past. Mostly it's on Sara's chapters. It would say Sara then a date like 1990. So then you have to forget everything you just read in the present and go back to the past. It's really interesting. One of the "past" chapters was about the day Kate was diagnosed with Leukemia. It was hard reading that because nobody wants to be told that they have cancer. Yes, she was two at the time but it's still hard for her parents. I'm diabetic and the day I found out was hard for me. I was 14 years old at the time so I knew what was going on. That first week was terrible. So many hours spent in the hospital, so many numbers to remember, and the thought that I would have to be taking injections 4 times a day really scared me and my parents. Since I didn't know anything about diabetes, at first I thought I was going to die but then I realized that I would get an insulin pump and I could live a long, healthy life as long as I took care of myself. But knowing that your daughter has cancer and she could die from it would be awful! I hope no one in my family gets cancer, or anybody else for that matter, but everything we wish for doesn't always come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment