Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

I'm still reading My Sister's Keeper and it's still really good. I have been wondering why it is called My Sister's Keeper. I haven't reached that part of the book yet, but I hope it comes soon. So far, Anna, Kate's sister, has hired a lawyer because she is suing her parents for medical emancipation. Basically, her parents had her so that she could save her sister. See Kate always needs new blood or plasma or currently a kidney so Anna was born to be a perfect donor match to Kate. So whenever Kate needs blood, Anna is the one to give it to her. She doesn't offer to give blood or whatever it is, she is forced to. Anna is 13 years old and she always thinks about how her life would be is she were born into a "normal" family. I feel bad for her because she is always in another surgery but at the same time, if she wasn't doing what she's doing then Kate would die. If I were Anna, I probably wouldn't like having surgeries all the time either but if I knew I was saving my sister I would be okay with it. Kate says that one year she was in the hospital every single holiday, even Memorial Day. It wasn't planned, it just happened. For Christmas, she had a tree in her room and on Easter there was an Easter egg hunt in the cafeteria. That would be terrible. I can't even imagine being in the hospital that many times a year. I would feel like I was in jail. You can't go anywhere and you can't hang out with your friends unless they come to you and even then you really can't do anything. This book is kind of depressing but at the same time it makes you think how good you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment